Disability benefits under Social Security can be difficult to understand.
There are numerous stringent requirements that must be satisfied before Social Security will even formally review an applicant’s disability. Your circumstances must be considered under the applicable rules, in order to determine whether disability benefits may be available.
To help make the analysis easier, we have created the “Do I Qualify for Social Security Disability Benefits?” flowchart.
It addresses some of the most common issues that arise for an individual facing a disability including:
- Impact if the client is legally blind
- Social Security work credits required for eligibility
- The “Recent Work Test” and “Duration of Work Test”
- Earned income limitations
- Impact of being a widow or a surviving divorced spouse
- Impact of the client’s ability to perform work