The HSA contribution rules are generally straightforward. However, the rules can become complicated in years when there will be a change to healthcare coverage.
Perhaps an investor is moving from individual to family coverage, or they are leaving their health plan, or they are starting Medicare. In these instances, it is important to revisit the rules and apply them to your unique situation.
To help make this analysis easier, we have created the “Can I Make A Deductible Contribution To My HSA?” flowchart.
It addresses some of the most common issues that arise for an investor trying to contribute to an HSA.
This flowchart considers:
- The minimum deductible requirements for HDHP
- The maximum out-of-pocket expense for HDHP
- Contribution amounts
- Impact if HDHP coverage starts or changes this year
- Full Contribution Rule and Las-Month Rules
- HSA and Medicare coordination