Social Security benefits can be confusing for a divorced individual.
There are several important and unique issues that must be considered before filing a claim to collect Social Security benefits.
To help make the analysis easier, we have created the “Am I Eligible for Social Security Benefits If I’m Divorced?” flowchart.
It addresses these common Social Security issues that arise for clients who have experienced a divorce:
- How the length of a marriage affects eligibility
- Impact of multiple divorces
- How the time since the divorce occurred affects eligibility
- Age that benefits can be collected
- Possible reduction in benefits if collected before Full Retirement Age
- Impact of a remarriage